2010 Built Green Incentives Guidelines & Application
The King County Built Green® incentive provides funding for residential remodel projects to help offset the cost of certifying and designing innovative green projects in King County. Eligible projects may receive up to $20,000. Grants are funded through the King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks, Water and Land Resource Division.
The 2nd Round is open only to applicants with projects that meet the following requirements:
- Project type: Single-Family Remodel
- Location: King County outside of City of Seattle
- Certification Level: Built Green 4-star or 5-star
- Project Start Date: Prior to July 31st, 2010
This is a competitive grant, applications will be evaluated based on criteria listed in these guidelines. Applications for the Built Green® grants will be accepted through online submission only. For questions contact:
335 116th Avenue SE
Bellevue, WA 98004
You may submit your application electronically online. Please assemble your information and then click on the button below to complete your application form. Upon submission, a confirmation email will be sent to your email address. You may also attach a project schedule or schematic drawings in standard formats of up to 3 MB in file size.
This year's application period is now closed.
Grant Award Levels
The funding available for the 2010 Built Green Incentive is specifically targeted at single-family remodel projects.
*Not all categories are guaranteed to be funded
**Amounts indicate maximum funding available
Questions about this application should be directed to Emily Erickson at (425) 460-8238 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Built Green 4-star or 5-star certification (for community development projects a Green Communities certification at the 3-star level is also required). See www.builtgreen.net for requirements.
- Additional minimum performance requirements:
Remodel/Single-Family/Townhome & Community Development Projects
- Amend disturbed soils to a depth of 10-12 inches to restore environmental functions when applicable (at discretion of Built Green Director)
- Meet the King County 2005 Surface Water Design Manual Standards or equivalent.
- On the Built Green Single Family Checklist, achieve no less than ¼ of the overall points from the Site & Water section.
- 75% min. recycling rate for all construction and demolition debris. For a list of recycling facilities, click here.
- Meet at least 5 of the following:
- Install FlushStar® * approved 1.28 gallon or dual flush toilets. For more information, click here. * Rebates available for multifamily construction in Seattle
- Install WashWise* approved clothes washer(s). For a list of approved models, click here. * Additional rebate available
- Install bathroom faucet aerators with a maximum 1.5 gallon per minute (gpm). For a list of applicable models, click here.
- Install showerheads with 2.0 gpm or less.
- Install dishwasher(s) with an energy factor of 0.68 or higher. For an approved product list (Tier 2 machines), click here.
- Landscape with native or locally-adapted plants from the Plant List.
- Install functioning drip irrigation system, or no irrigation.
- For more information on rebates, click here.
The Built Green® grants are open to projects in King County. Projects must meet all the following criteria:
- Project must be applicable for Built Green Certification
- Projects seeking Built Green 4-star certification or above.
- Project must have secured financing and be in either planning or early stages of construction.
- Applicant must be project owner, builder, or architect. Funding must be distributed to project owner or builder.
Funding is limited for the Built Green grants. Applications will be reviewed on a competitive basis and evaluated with the following criteria:
- Application is complete and clearly written.
- Project demonstrates affordability and replicability of green building design.
- Grant award provides incentive to increase the level of green strategies incorporated into the project.
- Project provides educational value to the public on innovative green design.
- Project includes water conservation, site protection, and low impact development strategies.
- Projects selected for grant awards represent a diverse range of project types throughout King County.
- Priority funding for applicants that have not yet certified at the 4- and 5-star levels.
Funding for Built Green® grants will be issued upon signed completion of the grant agreement form. Projects that fail to achieve minimum performance requirements and appropriate certification level will be responsible for refunding grant award.
Applicant agrees to provide Built Green with documentation that additional performance requirements have been met in addition to technical information regarding the water conservation and low impact development elements achieved in the project for educational purposes which may include but is not limited to:
- Estimated number of gallons saved annually
- Percentage of estimated reduction in stormwater run-off annually
- Percentage replacement of impervious surface with pervious surface for site and community
- Percentage of site left undisturbed for individual plots or whole community
- Percentage of construction waste material reused or recycled
- Project data on energy and water usage will be reported on a bi-annual basis to the Built Green Incentive committee for the first 24 months of occupancy. (option to opt out at the discretion of the Built Green Director)
- At least one public tour possible either during construction or once the project completed