|Star Level: 4-Star
|Checklist: Single Family New Construction
|Verifier: Evergreen Certified
|Site and Water
|Indoor Air Quality
|House Size Multiplier
View more images below
This new 4-star single family home in the Victory Heights neighborhood of Seattle was the first certified Built Green project by the experienced team from Woodcrafters Construction. Developed by Victory Partners, this "modern farmhouse" style home is an efficient and comfortable four bedroom residence that can be occupied by a young, growing family of three. The design is characterized by high ceilings on both floors, open living spaces and carefully selected fixtures and finishes that belie their reasonable prices.
It is ideal for sustainability goals to be discussed and planned for in the earliest stages of a project. In this case, the Built Green certification was considered after architectural plans were finalized. After numerous meetings with the homeowner, contractor and verifier, a plan was put in place to achieve 4-star status. Here's how they did it:
Site and Water
- All land clearing brush and wood was chipped, mulched and used in landscaping on-site.
- A large bioswale was installed for stormwater retention.
- Drought tolerant landscaping.
- Site is very close to a King County Metro bus stop.
- Dual-flush toilets, low-flow bath and kitchen fixtures.
- Efficient building envelope:
- BIBS insulation
- Triple pane windows (u .21)
- Airtight drywall
- Careful air sealing
- High efficiency gas tankless water heater
- High efficiency gas furnace
- 100% LED light fixtures
Indoor Air Quality
- Generous daylighting
- Low VOC paints and finishes
- Pre-finished flooring
- Sealed combustion gas appliances
- Factory cut framing lumber package
- Hardie siding
- Construction waste recycling
Both Woodcrafters Construction and Victory Partners walked away from this project with new sustainable products, materials, and techniques to be incorporated in future builds. The homeowner is looking forward to years of comfortable, healthy living and low utility bills.
Click on an image to enlarge