$115 for Built Green members
$135 for MBAKS members and nonmembers
It is critical green housing professionals are prepared to optimize the homeowner user experience. Sam Rashkin, Founder of Retooling the US Housing Industry and author of Housing 2.0: A Disruption Survival Guide, begins this workshop with a review of why the housing industry is poised for disruptive changes including the new user experience imperative. Then Sam will provide a framework for consistently delivering optimized designs including five key strategies and 50 best practices for applying them with substantial cost savings.
Following lunch, attendees will start applying these concepts to enhance their skill set. First, they will self-assess and customize the design optimization framework for their business. Then the attendees will collaborate applying the skills learned on actual designs selected from this group. Past experiences working with builders individually and in groups has consistently yielded $10,000s of cost savings and added value per home.
- Learn why housing disruption is looming ahead in response to five crises and four innovations.
- Learn 5 design strategies that form a framework for optimizing the housing user experience.
- Learn 50 best practices for applying the design optimization framework.
- Learn how to customize the design optimization framework based on your own business preferences, market forces, prevailing regional risks, and local climate.
- Apply skills for customizing the design optimization framework for your business.
- Apply skills applying design optimization best practices that add value.
- Apply skills applying design optimization best practices that extract significant cost savings.
- Apply skills working collaboratively for mutual benefit.
*We are looking for 3-4 floorplans from real projects to use in this workshop. If you have a single-family residence, townhome, SEDU, or DADU floorplan that you would like to have this group optimize, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. (only registered attendees are eligible to be selected)
Sam Rashkin is the former national director for ENERGY STAR Certified Home and Chief Architect with the U.S. DOE Building Technologies Office directing Zero Energy Ready Home. Sam’s latest work and new book, “Housing 2.0 – A Disruption Survival Guide,” provides the guidance needed for high-performance builders to become industry leaders with a comprehensive framework for optimizing the housing user experience.
During his 20-plus years as a licensed architect, Sam specialized in energy-efficient design and completed over 100 high-performance residential projects. He has served on national Steering Committees for USGBC’s LEED for Homes, NAHB’s Green Builder Guidelines, EPA’s Water Sense label, and EPA’s Indoor airPLUS label. Based on this experience, Sam has been recognized for his contributions to sustainable housing including the Energy and Environmental Building Alliance (EEBA) Legend Award in 2019, Hanley Award in 2012, and Professional Builder Achievement Award in 2002.
A Special Thanks to Our Sponsors